Themes are a crucial part of your WordPress website, giving it it’s looks and sometimes, even core functionality. Most theme developers allow a hassle free one click feature for upgrading WordPress themes.
However, you sometimes you may have to update a theme manually. Two scenarios where you may have to manually update a theme are:
- The developer does not provide one click update feature.
- You are cleaning up a hacked/malware infected site.
How to manually update a WordPress theme?
Please follow these steps to update the theme:
- Download the theme files from the source. This is usually the site from where you purchased the theme.
- Extract the downloaded files.
- In the extracted folder, there will be a sub folder with the name of the theme. This folder contains folders like assets, classes etc.
- On your site, delete the theme folder under wp-content/themes.
- Using the file manager or ftp, upload the theme folder on your PC to wp-content/themes. You can upload a zip file and extract it.